It’s Memorial Day Y’all! Memorial Day is marked as a special day on the calendar because it’s the perfect time to reflect on the sacrifices many families have given for years to protect our country. However, in addition to remembering the ones who gave their all, Memorial Day for most also marks the start of summer, with kids out of school and plenty of time at home with family. Traditionally my family is on vacation and we celebrate BIG!
When it comes to having wonderful family time, food is the best thing that could kick up your Memorial Day parties. Keeping the start of summer in mind, here are some yummy recipes for a Memorial Day menu that would make any holiday one to remember!
Ranch Potato Salad
This recipe is the perfect variation of the classic French potato salad.
- Red potatoes, 5 lbs
- Italian salad dressing mix (dry), 1 pkg.
- Celery (chopped), ½ cup
- Real bacon bits, 1 cup
- Tarragon vinegar, ¼ cup
- Dill pickle (chopped), ¼ cup
- Water, ¼ cup
- Green onion (chopped), ¼ cup
- Mayonnaise, 3 cups
- Extra-virgin olive oil, 1 cup
- Fill a pot with water and place potatoes. Set over med-high heat and bring to a boil. Adjust heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes until tender. Drain and let sit for 2 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine tarragon vinegar, Italian dressing, olive oil and water. Whisk until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- Place tender potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Use a knife to cut them into small chunks. Pour the Italian dressing mixture over and toss until coated. Add dill pickle, green onion, bacon bits and celery to the bowl. Stir in mayonnaise and stir well until all the flavors are combined.
- Serve fresh for best flavors!
Blueberry Cheesecake Pie
One of the best desserts for your Memorial Day celebrations! The red sauce, white pie and blueberries are the perfect blend of colors for this special day. Try it out!
- Phyllo dough, 8 sheets
- 2 eggs
- Butter (melted), ¼ cup
- Fresh blueberries, 2 cups
- Cream cheese, 2 pkg.
- Strawberry jelly, ½ cup
- White sugar, ½ cup
- Heavy cream (whipped), 1 cup
- Vanilla extract, 1 tsp
- Set the oven to preheat at 425 degrees F.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough and apply melted butter on the surface and cover it with the other sheet. Continue until all the sheets are in place. Cut the phyllo layers in a large, 12 inch circle. Transfer to a greased pie plate.
- Set to bake for 6-8 minutes until the edges turn brown. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat cream cheese, vanilla and sugar in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer. Beat until fluffy. Stir in eggs and continue beating until light. Add 1 cup blueberries in the mixture and just fold them in using a spatula. Pour this filling into the crust.
- Bake again at 350 degrees F for another 45-50 minutes. After the first 20 minutes of baking, remove and cover the pie pan with foil and continue to cook for the remaining duration.
- Remove and uncover. Let cool completely.
- Beat jelly in a small bowl until smooth. Spread over the cheese topping. Arrange the remaining scup of blueberries on top and serve!
Grilled Chicken with Honey Mustard
Kids and adults will love it alike! This simple, delicious, tangy grilled chicken dish is a perfect recipe to enjoy thoroughly with family!
- Boneless chicken breast halves, 4 fillets
- Dijon mustard, 1/3 cup
- Steak sauce, 1 tsp
- Honey, ¼ cup
- Mayonnaise, 2 tbsp
- Set the grill to preheat at medium setting.
- In a mixing bowl, mix mayonnaise, honey, mustard, and steak sauce together. Reserve some on the side for basting. In the remaining mixture, dip the chicken and coat well.
- Oil the grill gate and place chicken over indirect heat. Cook for 18-20 minutes until the juices run clear and the chicken is cooked through – turning occasionally.
- Baste occasionally before you transfer to the serving platter.
- Serve and enjoy!
These recipes are wonderful. Do try them out.
Undoubtedly, Memorial Day is a solemn event but since it also calls for a wonderful family time, make sure you make the most out of it and have amazing food over the weekend.
Don’t forget to share your own favorite recipes for Memorial Day menu.